FIM is a regional financial education campaign observed in the ECCU throughout October since 2002 and forms part of an ECCU financial education programme coordinated by the Eastern Caribbean Central Bank (ECCB). It is a collaborative effort among the ECCU member governments, financial and academic institutions, the media, private and public sector institutions and community–based groups.
The theme conveys the message that innovation, best practices and an unrelenting drive to succeed must be nurtured to enable individuals and businesses to realise their goals.
A programme of activities will be implemented throughout the ECCU to reinforce this message.
The month’s activities kick off with the broadcast of the FIM Declaration Speech by the Ministers of Finance on 1 October. This endorsement by the Minister shows support from the highest level of government. Other activities planned for the month include:
• FIM Business and Financial Tips aired on radio stations.
• Media programmes including articles on financial and business issues published weekly in local newspapers and interviews with representatives of the financial institutions on FIM activities.
• ECCU Business Symposium and Innovation Forum for entrepreneurs, business executives, managers, and supervisors.
• Presentations on financial issues to schools, business houses, community groups and churches.
• ECCU Business Innovation Contest and a Business Symposium for high school students.
The FIM initiative was designed to support the goal of “a financially developed and vibrant ECCU region which fosters strong and sustainable economic growth and the improved well-being of the citizenry.”